Saturday 22 February 2014

Pina Colada Tart


Last year, my workmate brought some homemade Samoan pineapple pie which was made by her mother, she asked me to try it, honestly, it was love at first bite!!! the pineapple custard filling melted in my mouth. I was thinking about her today and it remind me of that beautiful pie. Today I will make my own version but I'm not dare to call it Samoan's pie, anyway I think Pina Colada is a perfect name for my tart today. I added coconut in the shortcrust pastry, you can add sugar but I prefer salty shortcrust to balance with the taste of the tart filling. I decorated with pineapple flowers. See how to make pineapple flower
Ingredients
Coconut Shortcrust Pastry
200 g. plain flour
50 g. fine desiccated coconut
100 g. butter
2 tsp salt
1 egg yolk
2 tbs cold milk or cold water

Pineapple Custard Filling
1/2 cup can of chopped or crushed pineapple with syrup or juice 
1/4 cup sugar
2 tbs plain flour
150 ml milk
lime juice from 1/2 lime
2 egg yolks
knob of butter

whipped cream
100 ml heavy whipping cream
1 tbs icing sugar
1 tbs Malibu (optional)

you also need roughly chopped peanuts 

Directions
Preheat oven to 180C.

Place the flour, salt, desiccated coconut & butter in the bowl of the food processor and mix until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs then add egg yolk and milk then mix until the dough just comes together. Lightly knead then wrap with plastic and refrigerate for 30 mins. 
Roll pastry, using the rolling pin, on the lightly floured surface to about 3 mm. thick.
Use a cookie cutter to cut out circles slightly larger the the opening in the mould and place in mould making sure of a snug fit. Next prick the centre of each mould with a fork several times. Bake for approximately 15 mins.
Meanwhile, make the filling by beat the egg yolks in the bowl and set aside. Combine pineapple, sugar, flour, lime juice & milk into the sauce pan, stir until flour dissolves then turn the heat to low, keep stirring until mixture becomes thick, then spoon some of the mixture into the bowl of egg yolks and stir then pour it back to the sauce pan, stirring at all times until the mixture becomes a thick custard, remove from the heat. Add butter and stir.
Remove the shortcrust pastry from the oven when it's cooked & pour the filling in then refrigerate for 2-3 hours.
Whip cream, Malibu and icing sugar together in the chilled bowl until medium to firm peaks, spread whipped cream on top of the custard. Sprinkle with chopped peanuts.
Enjoy
View my IG : PIMMO

No comments:

Post a Comment